First of all how can you not already be fascinated with this movie when it has a man dressed up like a bird, wings and all, as the poster for the movie! The other day when I mentioned to Michele and Kristen that I had rented Disney's Classic Condorman for nostalgia value they had no idea what movie I was talking about. I was shocked. And so I thought to myself, "Self you should really educated the other two people who read your site because EVERYONE should know about Condorman."
The link provides a synopsis which is probably better than anything I could write or explain, but here are a few observations/memories of my own to add to the mix.
1. When the movie came in the mail for me to watch and I told my mother what it was she shook her head and said, "That's something you and your sister will always have in common, horrible movies." I looked at her outrageously and said, "Come on, you have to appreciate at least the nostalgia value." And for you readers for the record it is not a horrible movie. It's brilliant.
2. This movie has got it all. Intrigue, jealousy, love, spies, comedy, a pretty russian girl, fast cars, a car that turns into a hovercraft, a truck that turns into a fast car with flame that leaps out of the back, a two dimensional mercenary with a silver eye. It even has a church brawl for christ's sake! (You think I make this up? I do not. It's all there in the movie for you to see.) They travel from Paris, to Istanbul (not constaintinople), Moscow, Yugoslavia (the former), the Alps, and Monaco. They're everywhere!
3. My most vivid memory of this movie is the music and watching it again all these years later the music still got me excited during the actions scenes and even now it's still playing in my head. It's one of those theme songs that really never goes away. Kinda like "This is the song that will drive you insane....." Uhh you get the point, although it's not as annoying as that, it just gets stuck in your head like that.
4. When I saw Gladiator a few years ago I recognized Oliver Reed not from one of his other more famous movies, but as the guy who played the bad guy in Condorman. Man was he brilliant as the typical cold war russian villain. I would also like to mention he was in Black Arrow, another brilliant Disney movie from my youth.
5. I'll admit the movie is corny but it's still highly entertaining. It's only fault would for me be the last big fight scene in the movie where they start using a laser gun as well as what look like big canons. This fight scene takes place right of the coast of Monaco. Like someone wouldn't see this? Up till then everything else seems semi probable, like you can let yourself believe this could happen. But a laser gun? Nahhh.
6. In conclusion? See this movie! Laugh at it, ridicule it, I don't care but at least have knowledge of its existance. Why? Because I said so.Posted by nuala at August 26, 2002 05:28 PM