December 18, 2003
Canceled TV Shows
TOP TEN TV SHOWS THAT GOT CANCELED THAT WE'RE STILL UPSET ABOUT
by Ady and Nuala
10. Roswell......more Nuala than me...but where does the WB get off canceling a mediocre drama about pretty people with special powers, those executives should be fired.
9. Models Inc....does anyone else remember this show??? we LOVED this show. this time it was REALLY beautiful people with "real" model problems. it was full of cat fighting, man stealing, and manipulating....a formula for a hit show...god damn Fox network.
8. The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles....oh pretty pretty Sean Patrick Flannery....and a really good show to boot. Nuala MADE me watch this show, i really had no choice in the matter, and it was the type of show you were going to like regardless of how stubborn you are against the concept....and they cancelled it....Nuala was upset for a LONG time, all you have to do is bring it up around her and you're in for quite a ranting.
7. Top of the Heap.....i don't think anyone remembers this show, it was a spin off of Married with Children...not as good...but definitely worth the half hour attention span....and at ten years old a 23 year old Matt LeBlanc was something to be happy about watching on Thursday nights. and yet we still came out okay with this one because it was replaced by 90210....softened the blow a little bit...nice of them to care.
6. Punky Brewster.....i was so upset...and the worst part was i didn't get it....what do you mean there's no more episodes....there have to be more episodes...nobody asked me....they can't just do that without checking with us first! but they did.....heartless, heartless studio bastards.
5. Class of '96......this was a damn good show..they were going for the college version of 90210, for a more "mature" audience so to speak, if that actually exists with these kind of shows. it had the girl from Doogie Howser (the girlfriend) and Jason Gedrick the really hot "newcomer" at that time....this one really pissed us off...Nuala still has her favorite episode on tape... and because it got canceled we had to make do with the 90210 version of college life....and we all know how that turned out.
4. Partners.....this was a great show...and everyone's reaction was the same..."dude i love that show, it has Ducky from Pretty in Pink"....yes kids it starred Jon Cryer and Tate Donovan, before he became famous for dating Jennifer Aniston, and it was a really funny show...good times taken away by some stupid executive with bad taste.
3. Once and Again.....i just love Sela Ward...and Billy Campbell...and Shane West...and Steven Weber....and Eric Stoltz....what the fuck were they thinking...good dramas about normal suburban folk are really hard to find because frankly...they're not that interesting most of the time....and they had to go and cancel the only show i've enjoyed since our number one on the list.....i hate them.
2. Quantam Leap.....yes it was canceled, it only lasted four years, and after finally understanding why the show was so fabulous and why Nuala absolutely refused to change the channel they cancelled it on us.....
1. My So-Called life....by far the most devastating tv cancellation of our young lives.....we were REALLY upset...i even signed a petition. this was by far one of the best shows ever produced for tv and we truly HATE the people who gave the go ahead to cancel it. now we will never know what happened with Angela and Jordan....and that my friends is just not right.
Posted by nuala at December 18, 2003 07:54 PM
Quantam Leap - I haven't thought about that show in forever! It was great. I also mourned the loss of Models Inc. and Punky Brewster. I like that your list spans over 2 decades. I'd forgotten how much tv I've watched in my lifetime.
is your list rated feeling less bad to most upset over? because if so, i cannot believe 1) roswell is #10, and 2) you called it mediocre. can we even be friends any more? also, what, no firefly? people.
i was sad about punky brewster and partners. and also boston common if we're going with partners.
i didn't watch my so called life while it was out, so i cared not a whit when it got cancelled. but i was also upset about young indy. ooooh sean patrick.
Ash and I saw Billy Campbell as Benedick in a production of "Much Ado..." down here, and he kind of sucked, so I'm less sad about "Once & Again" than I was before. The writing was great, for sure.
I think Northern Exposure should be on the list. C'mon, John Corbett was as sexy 10 yrs ago as he is now!
i thought about Northern Exposure, but i never really watched it so it didn't upset me when they cancelled it.
and Michele, i'm sorry i called Roswell mediocre...i take it back...i hereby replace mediocre with fabulous.
i was sad about northern exposure, and good call on my so-called life (oh, jordan).
but girls...wonder woman? come on! how could that not make the cut???
I never called Roswell mediocre. I give suggestions, Ady does the order and comments. However it wasn't like Roswell was brilliant in terms of writing/concepts and oh a linear plot....so I was not upset when she called it mediocre. It doesn't mean I didn't love it to pieces, because any show that has a cute boy singing to the cute girl with a Meriachi (spelling?) band is brilliant by me. And am not buying the first season when it comes out on dvd in february? Oh yes, yes I am.
I'm not down with Northern Exposure either. Never watched it. sorry.
PS. I really never was that much of a firefly fan. i think I watched it twice and was not suprised when it was cancelled.
(ady, i forgive you. =)
I cannot support Wonder Woman. It was gawdawful. However nor can I go along with Nuala's list, as I am unfamiliar with all of those shows. So I'm an outsider here. However I would simply submit the british scifi comedy sitcom 'Red Dwarf' and HBO's 'Mr. Show' as possibly the most well-written and hilarious shows of all time. I'd toss in Sienfeld.
Sienfeld wasn't canceled silly. They quit. These are all canceled shows.
mr. show, from what i watched, was dumb. yes, dumb. you heard me.
OK, yes. Seinfeld was never cancelled.
I'm sorry Michele, you're wrong. Mr. Show was awesome. No laugh tracks, inane situations or recycled plots from sitcoms past. It was completely innovative and cutting-edge humor. One example from Season 3: The spoof ad for Mayostard (a crack at Goober peanut butter/jelly swirled together in one jar), then a separate ad for Mustardayonnaise (a competing product), then finally an ad for 'Mustmayostardayonnaise' a product which at last solved all the problems of the two competing products. The satire was stunning. The lucid discernment of our commercialism, oxymoron, BS, etc. It was brilliant and hilarious.
Here's some frustration from Australia - Why did they ever cancel QL I will never know??? Your #10 #9 #8 #6 #2 we used to get here from what I can remember but for me QL is #1. Loved Punky Brewster & Northern Exposure was pretty cool as well. I also have an alterior motive, I've been searching for anything QL on DVD but keep comin up blank (apart from the pilot episode) which I recently bought on DVD. I read nuala's post regarding season 1 on DVD. Is it really comin out on DVD? If you know anything else about it please let me know!!!
I read somewhere on the internet that they were talking about bringing the 1st season of Quantum Leap on DVD. Apparently whatever studio it is, is talking about doing it sometime next year. Whether or not this ACTUALLY happens is still up in the air.
"Mr. Show" actually quit - they weren't cancelled. It makes sense, since Bob and David were basically writing and directing and starring in every single sketch on the show, which must lead to 14-16 hour workdays.
One brilliant sketch they had was about a kid from the suburbs who gets selected by Tibetan monks as the new Dalai Lama, being visited by his old best friend from home, who gas trouble relating to him and the monks. From this, it goes into an elaborate parody of 80's summer camp movies, with the monks being pitted in an athletic competition against rich, fat pre-adolescents from across the lake. It all comes down to a freestyle rap competition. Good, good stuff.
I watched roswell religiously, i will never understand why they gave it the boot.... there was still so much that max and liz didnt know about their lives. Now i am sad
Class of 96...
and My So-Called Life... it's still an open wound. I agree.
I loved class of 96 because of Jason Gedrick. Big fan of his since I saw Iron Eagle when I was 12! Also loved Model's Inc. You forgot to mention Central Park West, Rags to Riches and some show called Freshman something or other - can't remember what it was called - it starred Robyn Lively from Teen Witch.
the network abc canceled a television show that i loved and cant stand not knowing whats gonna happen its called the days. it was out for alittle while and then they showed theseason premere and thats it.ifyou know or can find anything out please contact me
Who were the actors in The Days. Is Penn Baderly one of them? He is now in the cast of The Mountain.
ABC is the winner in canceling good shows
1. My So Called Life. 2. Reletivity. 3. The Days. They really stink!!!!
does anyone remember dark angel?
fox dropped the show from their lineup after only 2 seasons. jessica alba was the star, and james cameron was the shows creater .
i love roswell so much! i can't believe they cancelled that show-there are so many huge fans
and besides the dvd's are doing so well
I loved Roswell and Class of 96'. I would love to get Class of 96' on DVD but I have never seen it. The only memory I have of the show is an image of Jason Gedrick listening to Duran Duran's Ordniary World upset about breaking up with someone. I still have that image every time I hear that song. And as for Roswell, a science fiction Dawsons Creek. That Shiri Appleby is so cute I wanna scream.